Mission Outreach at First Presbyterian Church
The Mission and Stewardship committee promotes putting our faith into action by serving God’s world in various “hands-on” mission activities as well as interpreting financial needs of our church, community, nation and world.
Upcoming Mission Outreach Opportunities:
October 24 – Food Insecurity Community Conversation
We are encouraging the whole community to attend a community conversation about food insecurity in our town of Fenton. It will be held at the World of Wonder location (the original high school) in Fenton on Adelaide Street from 7:00 – 8:30 pm on October 24. There will be two speakers, a panel discussion and tables of information staffed by various food pantry personnel. There is no admission fee. If you want more information or have questions, please ask Polly Sheppard or Nikki Black
November 16 – Food Bank of Eastern Michigan
We will again be volunteering to sort food at the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan on Saturday, November 16. We will carpool from our church and leave by 8:15 am and return by 12:30 pm. If you are interested in joining this group, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Ken Wensel.
November 18,20 – Family Promise
Our church will again be assisting the Flushing Presbyterian Church in hosting homeless families. We “host” for two days by supplying dinner, social time in the evening, supervising the overnight, and assisting the families with breakfast in the morning. If you can serve in any of these ways, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Dave Eshleman.
November 30 – Blood Drive
Our church will again host a Red Cross Blood Drive in our fellowship hall on Saturday, November 30, from 8:30 am – 1:15 pm. Blood donors are encouraged to sign up with the Red Cross for a time to donate. Hosts and cookie donors are encouraged to sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Sherry Hunt or Jo Beardslee.
Local Mission Outreach each month
Each month, our church organizes at least one mission outreach opportunity for us to serve God’s world and make our faith “real” to us and our community. We encourage members and visitors to consider each opportunity to see if God is calling you to join in this work. We use our time, talent and treasure (local mission budget money) in these local mission outreach areas. Below this listing are some recent mission “posts” or articles on these outreach ministries as well as some pictures.
- Family Promise (helping homeless become independent again)
- Adopt-a-Pet (finding loving homes for cats and dogs)
- Shelter of Flint (serving the homeless)
- North End Soup Kitchen (providing hot meals to families with low or no income)
- Christmas In Action (providing home repairs to seniors)
- Blood Drives (Red Cross collecting blood)
- Habitat for Humanity (providing homes for low-income families)
- CROP Walk (providing food today and tomorrow worldwide)
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan (providing food to the hungry in 22 counties of Michigan)
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing (meeting human needs in the name of Jesus Christ without discrimination)