Mission Outreach at First Presbyterian Church
The Mission and Stewardship committee promotes putting our faith into action by serving God’s world in various “hands-on” mission activities as well as interpreting financial needs of our church, community, nation and world.
Upcoming Mission Outreach Opportunities:
December 2 – Red Cross Blood Drive
On Saturday, December 2, the Red Cross is offering anyone the opportunity to give the gift of life – blood. There is a shortage of all blood types. You can sign up for a donation appointment from 9 am to 1:45 pm via the web (online-www.redcross.org) or by calling the Red Cross (800-733-2767). Church members can also volunteer to donate cookies for the day or to assist on that day via a sign up sheet in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please call Sherry Hunt or Jo Beardslee.
December 9 – Salvation Army Bell Ringing
On Saturday, December 9, we will be ringing in the Christmas Season and ringing the bell for the Salvation Army at two area locations – Walmart and VG’s on Silver Lake Parkway. If you would like to join us in this worthwhile activity, there will be a sign up sheet for one hour periods at each location in fellowship hall. This is more fun if you ring the bell with your family; it seems to make our neighbors seem more open to your Christmas spirit. If you have any questions, please ask Nancy Berger.
December 18, 20 – Family Promise
Our church will again be assisting the Flushing Presbyterian Church in hosting homeless families. We “host” for two days by supplying dinner, social time in the evening, supervising the overnight, and assisting the families with breakfast in the morning. If you can serve in any of these ways, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Dave Eshleman.
Local Mission Outreach each month
Each month, our church organizes at least one mission outreach opportunity for us to serve God’s world and make our faith “real” to us and our community. We encourage members and visitors to consider each opportunity to see if God is calling you to join in this work. We use our time, talent and treasure (local mission budget money) in these local mission outreach areas. Below this listing are some recent mission “posts” or articles on these outreach ministries as well as some pictures.
- Family Promise (helping homeless become independent again)
- Adopt-a-Pet (finding loving homes for cats and dogs)
- Shelter of Flint (serving the homeless)
- North End Soup Kitchen (providing hot meals to families with low or no income)
- Christmas In Action (providing home repairs to seniors)
- Blood Drives (Red Cross collecting blood)
- Read & Feed (jump-starting the fall learning experience for elementary students)
- Habitat for Humanity (providing homes for low-income families)
- CROP Walk (providing food today and tomorrow worldwide)
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan (providing food to the hungry in 22 counties of Michigan)
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing (meeting human needs in the name of Jesus Christ without discrimination)