Mission Outreach at First Presbyterian Church
The Mission and Stewardship committee promotes putting our faith into action by serving God’s world in various “hands-on” mission activities as well as interpreting financial needs of our church, community, nation and world.
Upcoming Mission Outreach Opportunities:
April 21 – Shelter of Flint
On Saturday, April 21, we will be working at the Shelter of Flint performing various maintenance and housekeeping tasks. We will carpool from our church at 8:30 am and return by 4:30 pm. Lunch will be provided. If you would like to serve at this important ministry, there will be a sign up sheet in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Maureen Utt.
April 28 – Christmas In Action
On Saturday, April 28, we will be working with Christmas In Action to perform house maintenance on a senior’s home that they cannot do for themselves. We will gather at the home at 8:00 am for donuts and coffee and start working by 9:00 am. We will work until the repairs are complete (usually around 6 pm). Lunch and dinner are provided on site. If you would like to join the fun, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Bill Black.
May 5 – North End Soup Kitchen
On Saturday, May 5, we will be preparing and serving a lunch at the North End Soup Kitchen in Flint. We will carpool from our church at 8:30 am and return by 1:30 pm. If you would like to serve at this important ministry, there will be a sign up sheet in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Ken Wensel.
June 2 – Red Cross Blood Drive
On Saturday, June 2, from 8 am – 1:15 pm, our church will again host a Red Cross blood drive in our fellowship hall. If you would like to donate blood, please call the Red Cross to set up an appointment. If you would like to assist in hosting the drive or providing cookies, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Sherry Hunt or Jo Beardslee.
June 18,20 – Family Promise
Our church will again be assisting the Flushing Presbyterian Church in hosting homeless families. We “host” for two days by supplying dinner, social time in the evening, supervising the overnight, and assisting the families with breakfast in the morning. If you can serve in any of these ways, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Dave Eshleman.
Local Mission Outreach each month
Each month, our church organizes at least one mission outreach opportunity for us to serve God’s world and make our faith “real” to us and our community. We encourage members and visitors to consider each opportunity to see if God is calling you to join in this work. We use our time, talent and treasure (local mission budget money) in these local mission outreach areas. Below this listing are some recent mission “posts” or articles on these outreach ministries as well as some pictures.
- Family Promise (helping homeless become independent again)
- Adopt-a-Pet (finding loving homes for cats and dogs)
- Shelter of Flint (serving the homeless)
- North End Soup Kitchen (providing hot meals to families with low or no income)
- Christmas In Action (providing home repairs to seniors)
- Blood Drives (Red Cross collecting blood)
- Read & Feed (jump-starting the fall learning experience for elementary students)
- Habitat for Humanity (providing homes for low-income families)
- CROP Walk (providing food today and tomorrow worldwide)
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan (providing food to the hungry in 22 counties of Michigan)
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing (meeting human needs in the name of Jesus Christ without discrimination)