Mission Outreach at First Presbyterian Church
The Mission and Stewardship committee promotes putting our faith into action by serving God’s world in various “hands-on” mission activities as well as interpreting financial needs of our church, community, nation and world.
Upcoming Mission Outreach Opportunities:
August 8-10, 15-17 – Read and Feed
Our church will again be working with St. Jude Episcopal Church in hosting a two week “Reading Camp” and food program for second and third graders who are struggling with reading. We hope to make reading fun and get them excited to start school by having a variety of reading, music and craft programs during three mornings each week. We also provide a simple breakfast and lunch to these students each morning as well as home groceries for the two weekends. Please sign up in fellowship hall to serve in whatever capacity that interests you. If you have any questions, please ask Nikki Black, Ina Golden or Helen Dilworth.
September 16 – Adopt-a-Pet
Our church will again be volunteering at the Fenton Adopt-a-Pet facility on North Leroy Road. We will do a variety of general maintenance tasks as well as socializing the animals. You can volunteer to serve by signing up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Ken Wensel.
September 18,20 – Family Promise
Our church will again be assisting the Flushing Presbyterian Church in hosting five homeless families. Our volunteers will serve the families dinner, provide a social evening, stay overnight, and assist them in getting breakfast in the morning. We will serve Monday evening-Tuesday morning and Wednesday evening-Thursday morning. You can volunteer to serve in any one of these tasks by signing up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Dave Eshleman.
Local Mission Outreach each month
Each month, our church organizes at least one mission outreach opportunity for us to serve God’s world and make our faith “real” to us and our community. We encourage members and visitors to consider each opportunity to see if God is calling you to join in this work. We use our time, talent and treasure (local mission budget money) in these local mission outreach areas. Below this listing are some recent mission “posts” or articles on these outreach ministries as well as some pictures.
- Family Promise (helping homeless become independent again)
- Adopt-a-Pet (finding loving homes for cats and dogs)
- Shelter of Flint (serving the homeless)
- North End Soup Kitchen (providing hot meals to families with low or no income)
- Christmas In Action (providing home repairs to seniors)
- Blood Drives (Red Cross collecting blood)
- Read & Feed (jump-starting the fall learning experience for elementary students)
- Habitat for Humanity (providing homes for low-income families)
- CROP Walk (providing food today and tomorrow worldwide)
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan (providing food to the hungry in 22 counties of Michigan)
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing (meeting human needs in the name of Jesus Christ without discrimination)