Mission Outreach at First Presbyterian Church
The Mission and Stewardship committee promotes putting our faith into action by serving God’s world in various “hands-on” mission activities as well as interpreting financial needs of our church, community, nation and world.
Upcoming Mission Outreach Opportunities:
June 3 – Red Cross Blood Drive
Our church will again be hosting a Red Cross Blood Drive in fellowship hall on Saturday, June 3. In addition to donating blood, volunteers are needed to welcome donors, supply the cookies and host the donors at the tables. You can sign up to serve in fellowship hall. Ask Sherry Hunt or Jo Beardslee if you have any questions.
July 15 – Habitat Bastille Day Race
Our church will again assist raising funds for the Genesee County Habitat for Humanity work by directing traffic at several street corners in downtown Fenton during the Bastille Day Race. We will be on our street corners from 7:30 am – 10:00 am on Saturday, July 15. You can volunteer to serve by signing up on the form in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Brian Coles.
August 8-10, 15-17 – Read and Feed
Our church will again be working with St. Jude Episcopal Church in hosting a two week “Reading Camp” and food program for second and third graders who are struggling with reading. We hope to make reading fun and get them excited to start school by having a variety of reading, music and craft programs during three mornings each week. We also provide a simple breakfast and lunch to these students each morning as well as home groceries for the two weekends. Please sign up in fellowship hall to serve in whatever capacity that interests you. If you have any questions, please ask Nikki Black, Ina Golden or Helen Dilworth.
Local Mission Outreach each month
Each month, our church organizes at least one mission outreach opportunity for us to serve God’s world and make our faith “real” to us and our community. We encourage members and visitors to consider each opportunity to see if God is calling you to join in this work. We use our time, talent and treasure (local mission budget money) in these local mission outreach areas. Below this listing are some recent mission “posts” or articles on these outreach ministries as well as some pictures.
- Family Promise (helping homeless become independent again)
- Adopt-a-Pet (finding loving homes for cats and dogs)
- Shelter of Flint (serving the homeless)
- North End Soup Kitchen (providing hot meals to families with low or no income)
- Christmas In Action (providing home repairs to seniors)
- Blood Drives (Red Cross collecting blood)
- Read & Feed (jump-starting the fall learning experience for elementary students)
- Habitat for Humanity (providing homes for low-income families)
- CROP Walk (providing food today and tomorrow worldwide)
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan (providing food to the hungry in 22 counties of Michigan)
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing (meeting human needs in the name of Jesus Christ without discrimination)