Mission Outreach at First Presbyterian Church
The Mission and Stewardship committee promotes putting our faith into action by serving God’s world in various “hands-on” mission activities as well as interpreting financial needs of our church, community, nation and world.
Upcoming Mission Outreach Opportunities:
June 18,20 – Family Promise
Our church will again be assisting the Flushing Presbyterian Church in hosting homeless families. We “host” for two days by supplying dinner, social time in the evening, supervising the overnight, and assisting the families with breakfast in the morning. If you can serve in any of these ways, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Dave Eshleman.
July 14 – Habitat for Humanity – Bastille Day Race
Our church will again be assisting Habitat for Humanity as they host the Bastille Day Race in downtown Fenton on Saturday, July 14. We will be providing traffic control at several downtown intersections for the safety of the runners and walkers. We will meet at our church at 7:30 am and should be done by 9:15 am. If you can volunteer some time for this worthwhile cause, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Brian Coles.
July 30 – Aug 2 – Read and Feed
Our church will once again be hosting eligible 2nd and 3rd graders who are struggling with reading in the hope of making reading fun and jump-start their next school year on a positive note. In addition to serving breakfast and lunch each day, we will again supply food for these students and their siblings for the following weekend. In addition, we will supply these students and their siblings with books to take home. If you would like to help, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions about how you can help, please ask Helen Dilworth, Ina Golden or Nikki Black.
September 15 – Adopt-a-Pet
Our church will again be assisting the Adopt-a-Pet program in Fenton on Saturday, September 15, from 9am – 1pm. We will socialize the animals as well as assist with various facility maintenance tasks. If you can serve in any of these ways, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Ken Wensel.
Local Mission Outreach each month
Each month, our church organizes at least one mission outreach opportunity for us to serve God’s world and make our faith “real” to us and our community. We encourage members and visitors to consider each opportunity to see if God is calling you to join in this work. We use our time, talent and treasure (local mission budget money) in these local mission outreach areas. Below this listing are some recent mission “posts” or articles on these outreach ministries as well as some pictures.
- Family Promise (helping homeless become independent again)
- Adopt-a-Pet (finding loving homes for cats and dogs)
- Shelter of Flint (serving the homeless)
- North End Soup Kitchen (providing hot meals to families with low or no income)
- Christmas In Action (providing home repairs to seniors)
- Blood Drives (Red Cross collecting blood)
- Read & Feed (jump-starting the fall learning experience for elementary students)
- Habitat for Humanity (providing homes for low-income families)
- CROP Walk (providing food today and tomorrow worldwide)
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan (providing food to the hungry in 22 counties of Michigan)
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing (meeting human needs in the name of Jesus Christ without discrimination)