Mission Outreach at First Presbyterian Church
The Mission and Stewardship committee promotes putting our faith into action by serving God’s world in various “hands-on” mission activities as well as interpreting financial needs of our church, community, nation and world.
Upcoming Mission Outreach Opportunities:
January 21 – Restoration Place Forum
Our church will be hosting a human trafficking forum that all members and friends are invited to attend in our fellowship hall on Sunday, January 21, from 5-7 pm. One speaker will inform us about the human trafficking problem in Michigan. One speaker will inform us about a group working to build a Restoration Place home for the victims to recover their lives in. One speaker will inform us about how we can work together to assist in building the home as well as help the victims recover. If you have any questions, please ask Donna Anderson or Polly Sheppard.
February 10 – Shelter of Flint
On Saturday, February 10, we will be working at the Shelter of Flint performing various maintenance and housekeeping tasks. We will carpool from our church at 8:30 am and return by 4:30 pm. Lunch will be provided. If you would like to serve at this important ministry, there will be a sign up sheet in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Maureen Utt.
March 26 & 28 – Family Promise
Our church will again be assisting the Flushing Presbyterian Church in hosting homeless families. We “host” for two days by supplying dinner, social time in the evening, supervising the overnight, and assisting the families with breakfast in the morning. If you can serve in any of these ways, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Dave Eshleman.
Local Mission Outreach each month
Each month, our church organizes at least one mission outreach opportunity for us to serve God’s world and make our faith “real” to us and our community. We encourage members and visitors to consider each opportunity to see if God is calling you to join in this work. We use our time, talent and treasure (local mission budget money) in these local mission outreach areas. Below this listing are some recent mission “posts” or articles on these outreach ministries as well as some pictures.
- Family Promise (helping homeless become independent again)
- Adopt-a-Pet (finding loving homes for cats and dogs)
- Shelter of Flint (serving the homeless)
- North End Soup Kitchen (providing hot meals to families with low or no income)
- Christmas In Action (providing home repairs to seniors)
- Blood Drives (Red Cross collecting blood)
- Read & Feed (jump-starting the fall learning experience for elementary students)
- Habitat for Humanity (providing homes for low-income families)
- CROP Walk (providing food today and tomorrow worldwide)
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan (providing food to the hungry in 22 counties of Michigan)
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing (meeting human needs in the name of Jesus Christ without discrimination)