Mission Outreach at First Presbyterian Church
The Mission and Stewardship committee promotes putting our faith into action by serving God’s world in various “hands-on” mission activities as well as interpreting financial needs of our church, community, nation and world.
Upcoming Mission Outreach Opportunities:
November 17 – Food Bank of Eastern Michigan
Our church will again be assisting the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan by sorting food donations in their warehouse so that it can be distributed to food pantries in 22 counties of Michigan to hungry people. We will gather at church to carpool by 8:15 am and will return by 12:30. If you are interested in helping us serve the hungry, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Ken Wensel.
December 1 – Red Cross Blood Drive
Our church will again be assisting the Red Cross in collection blood donations at our church on Saturday, December 1, from 8:00 am – 1:15 pm. If you can donate blood, please sign up with the Red Cross. If you can assist in hosting the blood drive and/or donating cookies for the blood drive, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Sherry Hunt or Jo Beardslee.
December 8 – Salvation Army Bell Ringing
Our church will again be “ringing the bell” for the Salvation Army to assist them in raising money during the Christmas Season. Volunteers will ring at Walmart and VG’s on Silver Lake Parkway for one hour at a time between 9 am and 8 pm. If you would like to volunteer, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Nancy Berger or Ken Wensel.
December 17,19 – Family Promise
Our church will again be assisting the Flushing Presbyterian Church in hosting homeless families. We “host” for two days by supplying dinner, social time in the evening, supervising the overnight, and assisting the families with breakfast in the morning. If you can serve in any of these ways, please sign up in fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please ask Dave Eshleman.
Local Mission Outreach each month
Each month, our church organizes at least one mission outreach opportunity for us to serve God’s world and make our faith “real” to us and our community. We encourage members and visitors to consider each opportunity to see if God is calling you to join in this work. We use our time, talent and treasure (local mission budget money) in these local mission outreach areas. Below this listing are some recent mission “posts” or articles on these outreach ministries as well as some pictures.
- Family Promise (helping homeless become independent again)
- Adopt-a-Pet (finding loving homes for cats and dogs)
- Shelter of Flint (serving the homeless)
- North End Soup Kitchen (providing hot meals to families with low or no income)
- Christmas In Action (providing home repairs to seniors)
- Blood Drives (Red Cross collecting blood)
- Read & Feed (jump-starting the fall learning experience for elementary students)
- Habitat for Humanity (providing homes for low-income families)
- CROP Walk (providing food today and tomorrow worldwide)
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan (providing food to the hungry in 22 counties of Michigan)
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing (meeting human needs in the name of Jesus Christ without discrimination)