The Christian Education committee promotes education of children to adults to help better understand God’s amazing love for all of us in spite of our failings. Through discussion and study, we pray that we will all learn to live in relationship and accept God’s grace.
As a community of Christian faith, First Presbyterian Church – Fenton is committed to creating and maintaining programs, facilities and a community in which our congregation, staff, friends and volunteers nurture good conduct as demonstrated by personal behaviors that are consistent with our Christian values. To view our complete policy, click on the link above.
Nursery care is provided for children up to 2 years of age on Sunday mornings, birth through preschool during Wednesday evening programs, and upon request for other programs. Beginning faith formation is offered through simple prayer, song and Bible stories. At the age of three, children are transitioned into our preschool program with input from parents, and support from the Nursery Care Provider and Education Director.
During 9a.m. worship, preschool children may be signed into the nursery. After a short prayer and song with all young children, preschool children go into the preschool room for faith formation activities. The preschool room offers a mini rotation model within the classroom. Each month the children will focus on one Bible lesson through different activities.
During 11a.m. worship, preschool children may attend worship until the “children’s message,” after which they can leave to participate in the JAM program. After worship, all children will be brought to parents in Fellowship Hall by 12:15.
JAM – “Jesus And Me”
This Sunday school program for children in preschool through 5th grade takes place during the 11 a.m. worship service. After worship, all children will be brought to parents in Fellowship Hall by 12:15. This year children will explore living in the Fruit of the Spirit from Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”
Lessons are based on the rotation model and include various modalities such as drama, video, computer, art, games, science, cooking, and music. Children leave for class after the children’s message during worship service each Sunday. Current rotation information can be found in recent postings.
For summer worship, the children meet in a combined classroom setting after the children’s message during the 10 a.m. service.
This class meets at 10 a.m. each Sunday during the school year in the Drama/Music Room. Led by high school youth, all children in K-5th grade are invited for energizers, fellowship, praise songs and lessons that follow the lectionary readings. This gives the children an understanding of the day’s worship theme, and assists their comprehension of stories presented in worship. Younger children can be left in the nursery/preschool room during the 10 a.m. education hour.
Confirmation classes are offered during the school year for all youth in sixth grade and above who have not yet been confirmed. This course helps students develop a Christian worldview, discovering who they are as a disciple of Christ, and how to live that out. In this way they will be prepared to become an active and integral church member. More information can be found under the Youth Group tab.
Jr/Sr High Bible Study
Youth 6-12 grade not enrolled in confirmation class are offered Bible study that meets from 9:30-10:30 a.m. in the Youth Room. Bible based discussions also take place during the first part of most youth group meetings. Please see the Youth Group tab for more information.
Mission Statement: “To provide vibrant adult study opportunities that inspire and encourage faithful daily living.”
- Sunday morning Bible study takes place during the school year from 10-10:45 a.m. in the Conference Room. Adults and older youth are invited to take part and newcomers are always welcome.
- Monday mornings all adults are welcome to join our prayer team in the sanctuary from 10-11a.m. Learn how to pray more effectively and hopefully for our world, her people and her leaders. We explore personal practices through corporate prayer, music and other mediums. See David Eshleman for more information.
- Tuesday morning Bible Study Covenant Group meets at 11 a.m. in the Conference Room from September – May and is led by Pastors Lindsey and Robbie Carnes. Current topic is the Letters to the Galatians and Ephesians. Newcomers welcome!
- Wednesday morning Women’s Covenant Group will study Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy by Beth Moore September 13 – November 29 from 10:00a.m. – noon. Facilitated by Tina Ritchie, this group meets in Fellowship Hall. New attendees are welcome to join the group.
- Wednesday evening Financial Peace University class meets September 20 – November 15 from 6:00 – 8:00p.m. in the Conference Room, and is led by Jennifer and Greg MacLean. Participant cost is $100 per couple.
- Thursday evening adult Bible study: This class has been postponed – day & time TBD. Once started we will discuss the Twelve Prophets Vol. 2 from the Daily Study Bible Series. Please see Tina Ritchie for more information.
- Men’s Covenant Group joins Pastor Robbie at 8 a.m. the 1st Saturday of the month at a local restaurant and 6 p.m. the 3rd Sunday of the month at a member’s home. This group meets for fellowship, prayer, reflection and support for spiritual growth and to enrich daily living. See Pastor Robbie for current meeting places and to get on the email list.
Depending on the study, adults may purchase a book for $10-$15 donation though the church office, or during class time.
Childcare is offered for all adult education classes as needed. Please see Tina Ritchie or call the church office to make a request.
This 5-week adult education program takes place on Wednesday evenings during Lent in collaboration with our neighbors at St. Jude’s Episcopal Church.
Below is a short slide show presentation of some education experiences. For updated examples, please click on the “Education” posting category on the left of the website pages.