The following requirements and materials are needed to apply for a Deacons Scholarship, approved by the Board of Deacons in 2014:
- Member of First Presbyterian Church of Fenton
- Applicant is a graduating senior or a post graduate seeking advanced education (college, trade school, etc.)
- Applicant has a cumulative 2.5 GPA
- Complete the following
The following information must be typed and attached to this signed application.
- List your involvements at school, at church and in the community that best describe your awareness of the needs of others; attach two letters one from your school and one from a community or church individual regarding the involvement
- Write an essay of 300 words or less describing a situation when you desired to provide assistance to someone in need that had conflicted with what your peers wanted you to do
- State any other information you feel should be acknowledged
- Attach an academic transcript of your GPA
As the school year comes to an end it is near time to turn in applications for the Deacon Scholarship. This year there will be two $500 awards given out to any high school senior or members continuing their education. One will be through the Deacons and the other is sponsored by the Smiley family. The deadline is May 1st and applications can be found in the church office or in fellowship hall on the table underneath the Deacon bulletin board.
It’s nearly time for the Deacons’ Christmas Project. Our congregation will have the opportunity to help a family have a more joyous Christmas. You’ll be able to help by purchasing a grocery bag of food, or clothes and/or a toy for a child. This will all start November 17th after church services. Look for the Deacons at a table in the Fellowship Hall.
This Sunday the 14th, is the start of passing out the outfits for the back to school project. The cards will also be available on the 21st and 28th. The deadline to bring back these outfits will be August 11th so they can be distributed for the upcoming school year. Donations of any size are appreciated, thank you for your contribution.
This year, Ken and Marilee Smiley have offered an additional $500 to be donated in memory of their son Mark Smiley. This donation would provide an additional Deacon scholarship for any members looking to further their education. This means that there will be a total of two scholarships this year. The new deadline for applications for both scholarships is at 4:30pm on May 1st when these applications must be turned into the church office.
The deacons are coordinating the Easter Basket Project, where qualified families in the community receive the ingredients for a complete Easter dinner. Members and friends of the church who want to help these families can pick up shopping bags with a list of suggested items on Sunday March 3, 10, or 17 after church. Please return these bags to church by Sunday March 24th.