To be a loving community of faith dedicated to helping people know Jesus Christ and grow, share and serve as his disciples.
To provide an inviting and welcoming church home that attracts people of all ages and encourages positive growth, while creating an exciting and dynamic approach as disciples of Jesus Christ.
Governing Boards of the Church
Members identified with leadership gifts are elected by the congregation to serve three-year terms as either elders or deacons.
- The Session is composed of 15 elders with the pastor as its moderator. The Book of Order says the session is “responsible for the mission and government of the particular church”. Our Session is organized into seven committees: administration, Christian education, congregational life, mission and stewardship, new member and outreach, nominating, and worship.
- The Board of Deacons is composed of 15 deacons and elect their own moderator each year. The Book of Order says the deacons are “to minister to those who are in need, to the sick, to the friendless, and to any who may be in distress both within and beyond the community of faith. They shall assume such other duties as may be delegated to them from time to time by the Session.”
Brief History of the Church
- Organized as the “First Presbyterian Church of Fentonville” on February 28, 1840, our church is one of the oldest in Fenton. The first church building located on the southwest corner of Adelaide and Rockwell was destroyed by fire in 1861.
- The present sanctuary was dedicated January 14, 1863.
- In 1899, the church was remodeled adding the two alcoves and the choir loft, veneering the church with paving brick and redecorating.
- In 1930, the Sabbath School room was added, the Parlors, Dining Room and Kitchen were re-modeled and a new heating system was installed.
- In 1935, the congregation voted to purchase a new pipe organ.
- Property was purchased in 1954 and 1955. A new education building was built in 1961.
- In 1992, the Chancel was expanded.
- In 2011, another expansion provided a larger fellowship hall with a new kitchen, a consolidated church office, new rest rooms and a new entrance.
- The church has had 32 pastors. The very first pastor was Rev. P.S. VanNess, 1840-1843. The Rev. Harley H. Stockham was pastor from 1946-1965. The Rev. Robert Kelley was pastor from 1965-1994. The Rev. Dale Swihart, Jr. was pastor from 1995-2013.